Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On Season training: 19 weeks out

So as I mentioned, I am currently training for a fitness competition in Kelowna this coming May. The category I'm competing in is Figure, which is a lot smaller than body building and is still feminine. So no, I am not going to start looking like a man which is a common misperception. I get a lot of questions about how I train, so here's a quick overview of what I'm doing now.

Right now I'm weight training 5 days/week and doing cardio 5 days/ week. I take 2 complete rest days for recovery. This is important, I always tell my clients "the workout is the architect but rest is the builder". Right now I'm doing a split program that allows me to really focus on specific areas such as shoulders and glutes. I do my cardio post workout and my total time in the gym is about an hour.

As for the diet, I won't lie, it is pretty strict and will only get stricter, but don't confuse this with being "unhealthy". I don't starve myself, I eat a healthy amount of calories that will allow my body to lean out but will support the amount of exercise. It's also important to get the right calorie balance to allow my body to build and maintain lean muscle mass. The main staples of my diet are chicken breast, salmon, steak, oats, brown rice, quinoa, fruit, lot's of veggies and healthy fats like olive oil, fish oil and nuts. Nothing unhealthy about that! I even get a cheat meal every Saturday night. This helps boost the metabolism. I keep my cheat meal fairly clean, usually going for sushi and having chocolate almonds for a treat after dinner.


So that's pretty much it for right now and as I get closer to the competition, my diet and workouts will keep changing. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment